News

Ariel Castro agrees to plea in Ohio kidnap case

Ariel Castro agrees to plea in Ohio kidnap case

Ariel Castro will serve life without parole plus 1,000 years to avoid the death penalty. Photo: Associated Press/Tony Dejak

CLEVELAND (AP) — A Cleveland man accused of holding three women captive in his home for about a decade has agreed to plead guilty in a deal to avoid the death penalty.

Ariel Castro is entering the plea Friday. In exchange, prosecutors said the 53-year-old Castro would be sentenced to life without parole plus 1,000 years.

Castro had been charged in a 977-count indictment.

He had been scheduled for trial Aug. 5 on allegations that include repeatedly restraining the women and punching and starving one woman until she had a miscarriage.

The women disappeared separately between 2002 and 2004, when they were 14, 16 and 20 years old. Each said they had accepted a ride from Castro.

They escaped Castro’s house May 6 when one kicked out part of a door and called to neighbors for help. Castro was arrested within hours and has remained behind bars.

Recent Headlines

in National

Calls for peace at Kansas shooting memorial

kansas

The scene of a hate crime just days ago became the setting for tears, prayers and calls for peace.

in National

Obama budget plan would boost U.S. tax revenue, cut deficits

obama

The Congressional Budget Office says the 2015 budget could boost tax revenues while slashing deficits by $1.05 trillion.

in Sports

Thursday’s Sports Minute

durant

The Thunder secure No. 2 seed, the Cubs' visit to Yankee Stadium doesn't go well, and more.

in National

Jobless rates hover at near pre-recession levels

jobs

New applications for unemployment benefits held near their pre-recession levels last week.

in Sports

Wall Street fund managers buy Milwaukee Bucks

bucks

Hedge fund managers are buying the Milwaukee Bucks for $550 million, becoming the latest Wall Street financiers to own a sports club.